At least at my house it has! Last week, I went outside and in my front garden there are shoots starting to pop up out of the dirt!!! Yeah! That got me all excited for spring so Friday we went to Walmart and bought a whole bunch of seeds. When we got home Rachel and Logan had a ball helping me fill the containers with dirt and planting the seeds! We didn't expect to see anything until atleast a week later, but today (3 days later) when I pulled back the plastic to water the dirt, there were seedlings everywhere! You would have thought it was Christmas morning all over again at my house! The kids were so excited to see their hard work growing! And of course it didn't pass Rahel's attention that it was their seeds, not mine that are growing! (actually I have 1 teeny tiny seed growing) They called daddy at work all excited to tell him. Here's a picture.

It was such a fun and cheap project! IF they all grow, then I will have over $100 worth of flowers for only $10 (seeds, dirt, containers and all!) One of their favorite things to do is spritz the dirt with a water bottle, they've been great helpers!
P.S. If any of you want to grow your own, we found that disposable lasagna containers make great green houses! Buy the pack that has plastic lids. I only had one of those, so the others just have plastic wrap covering them held up by toothpicks. We also bought the little dividers (50 for $2.50) but we ran out of those quick - I bought a lot of seeds! - so we used egg cartons for the rest.
8 comments:
Great idea! I'll have to try that out!
Because I am such an idiot I will be calling for complete instructions. I am all for saving $90.
Care Bear and I saw Spring today! We found daffodil greens and the trees are starting to bud. Then when we were outside later she saw something and said "Is that Springer again?" I wish I could remember what she saw...
Way too much work and way too much time :)! I saw little buds this morning too outside...I can't wait to just sit outside all day!
good job! i have yet to successfully grow anything...me and plants dont mix. for a while jared's mom tried to come to my aid, but with no success. someday though, when i have a yard of my own i plan on developing (forcing)a green thumb. :P
That is way too cool! You are so creative!
I LOVE gardening/planting anything of any kind; it's so therapeutic and happy! Glad your little family is enjoying spring!
To answer your question.. . We have a nutrimill. (About $250 I think.) Love it, but it isn't manual. Just electric. We bought a small hand grinder at Macey's for $50. It works great for cracking wheat for wheat mush cereal, but I wouldn't want to grind flour with it on a weekly basis. It would wear you out quickly.
Post a Comment