Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No more Logan, tutu's, and toile...

...At least we hope! As a desperate attempt to get Logan out of Rachel's dress-ups and into something a little more gender appropriate, I spent last week making these capes for him. They are actually tons easier than they look (about 1 hour per cape) and way cuter in person! (they are hard to photograph because they are super shiny!) I knew if I was going to make him some capes that he would actually wear, the material would have to be shiny and "pretty" I let him come to Hobby Lobby with me to pick out the fabric and he was so dang excited. Before I got them finished I would just tie the material around his neck and he would through a huge tantrum until I would take it off, and re-tie it around him like a dress! Max in turn begged me to hurry and finish the capes. I was really worried that this plan wasn't going to work, but so far so good!
The first day I finished them, he wore the superman cape to a couple of stores. We got stopped by several people and they all told him how awesome he looked! He was so dang proud and excited to be wearing them! I'd like to thank all those complete strangers for telling him how cool he looked - it totally sealed the deal!

The only downfall to the capes is that he gets super hyped up when he's wearing them and runs around like a holy terror! He also thinks he can jump off anything (than again what kid in a cape doesn't think that!) The best part, they were only about $5 each to make! I still have a lime green one to finish, it will have the "flash" logo on it. Yes I know flash is supposed to be on red, but we already had a red one and he really wanted a green cape.

Blue = Captain America (I know he doesn't have a cape but who cares)

Red = Super Man

Silver = Batman (my personal favorite!)

Green = Flash (coming soon)

I'm also going to make a pink one for Rachel. Click on any of the pictures to enlarge them and you can see how super shiny this fabric is - it's awesome!!!

16 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

That's awesome. You know, someday he's going to be dang embarrassed when you show this post to the girl he's dating or the football team! To think of the lengths his poor mother had to go to in order to get him to dress like a boy!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

Those are great! The logo's look amazing too, but I guess I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

Jessica said...

Those are AWESOME, think you could make me a Lego StarWars one for my boys? They would be in heaven!

JaNece said...

So cute. What aren't you good at? Thanks for helping me and Pat out this week with the boys. Pat is realizing hwo hard it is to get things done with kids around. You're awesome for taking them and for picking up LUkas from preschool. (I think he has a crush on Rachel!)

Lara Zierke said...

The containers I got for my seeds aren't the kind that expand. They are just a grid of little squares ready to go. I have some pictures that I'll eventually post on my blog. I've done a few vegetables (onions and carrots) and then some flowers (petunias, marigolds, larkspur, and alyssum). So I'm hoping that some, if not all of them, will all turn out.

Miranda said...

Those are awesome! My little man is going to need some! Way to go!You are amazing!

Tracy Giles said...

Oh, how I wish I was talented like you!! Those are great!!

Melissa said...

You put my boring capes to shame. I was very proud of what I made for Jaco when he was younger. Oh well, I just won't show him!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Maria,

You are freakin amazing! I can't believe the things you make. I LOVE how Logan wanted to wear it like a dress in the beginning. So hilarious. We need to get the boys together sometime.

Max said...

I LOVE the capes. Thanks for doing that, us men appreciate it. I'm still waiting for my cape.......

Nancy said...

Max's comment was my favorite. Did you follow a pattern or just do it off the cuff?

Lara Zierke said...

I put a post on my blog on how to create the signature line. And yes I DO have some sprouts! My alyssum is coming in strong. One of my sweet peas sprouted and I have a couple sprouts of regular peas. So far so good!

Liz Smith said...

those are awesome and im all about the shiny fabric...haha! your kids are so lucky to have such a good mommy. :)

Ryan & Keri said...

Wow, Maria! I'm so impressed! You are amazing with the sewing machine--your kids are so lucky to have such a fun mom!

Windy said...

Wow I agree what can't you do? Those capes are awesome. Logan is adorable no matter what he wears...hehe

Janae said...

Those capes sure are cute! Did you use a pattern or just wing it? Traeson would love something like that. Great birthday presents too!