Thursday, March 26, 2009

Calzone


I am always getting requests for this recipe and some of you have asked me for instructions, so here they are! It is super easy and way yummy - Rachel ate more than I did tonight!

Recipe:
* 1 Rhodes dough loaf (they come frozen like the rolls)
* 1 small can tomato sauce
* 1-1 1/2 Tbsp italian seasoning (no it is not the same as the italian dressing dry mix)
* 1/8 tsp minced garlic
* canadian bacon, pepperoni, motzerella and cheddar cheese (any other toppings you like)
* garlic salt
* parmissian cheese


A few hours before you are ready to make it, put a loaf of Rhodes dough on a plate, spray with non-stick spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let defrost and rise till double in size:


Cover cookie sheet with tin foil, spray with Pam, then roll out dough on a separate piece of foil cut the same size as cookie sheet and sprayed with Pam. Roll dough to fit the piece of foil.


To make the sauce, take 1 can tomato sauce and add 1- 1 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning, and 1/8 tsp of garlic. (I buy the jar of pre-minced garlic, its cheep and lasts forever) Mix together. Spread in center only of dough, leaving about 1" at each end. (you will only use about 1/3 of the sauce, you can freeze the rest for later)


Add your toppings. We have found that we prefer only Canadian bacon and pepperoni, we love supreme pizza, but we like our calzones the best simple like this. If you buy the same meat as I did, the box of Hormel pepperoni has two sealed packages in it, so it lasts for 2 calzones, plus the Land O' Frost canadian bacon is enough for 2 as well. (I just cut the bacon in quarters because it is really big) - you can see it in the picture. I have also found that it tastes so much better if you use freshly grated cheese, I used to buy the pizza blend bag of cheese, but it just isn't nearly as good. I grate and freeze my motzerella because I pretty much only use it for these. Grate about 1 cup of each cheese.

I put the bacon all the way across, I just took the picture so you could see. They both fit perfectly 3 across.



Add your cheese and then pull up the sides and pinch tightly together. (sometimes you have to pinch it a few times to get it to seal.) Pinch the ends and fold up.



lol - notice the belly, It's too big to keep out of the picture!

Flip calzone onto greased and lined cookie sheet. (the pinched side needs to be down, that is why I roll it out and make it on a separate sheet of tin foil.)


Poke holes in top with fork, spray with butter flavored Pam, or brush with melted butter. Sprinkle on garlic salt, then parmessian cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Note: It helps keep your pan clean if you fold up the edges of the tin foil, because sometimes your calzone will leak while baking.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!

9 comments:

Miranda said...

Love the step by step pictures, you make me realize how silly mine looks when I make this delicious confection! Go Martha Go!

Liz Smith said...

mmmmmmm....that looks soo good. i'll have to try it, i'll just have to find a good dough equivalent...im not sure if we have rhodes out here.

Mac and Dixie said...

Delish! I'll have to give it a whirl...anything easy is always nice! Oh, btw, I have your peppermint oil. I tried to bring it by the other night but you must have been gone. Are you going to bookclub Thursday?
-Dixie

Kirsten said...

Ooh, I'm going to try this one. I dont remeber if I said Hi to you after finding your blog off Annies. HI!

Ryan & Keri said...

Yum! Thank you! I think we'll try this soon!

mom2jjk said...

Nummy nums. I haven't made this in a while. Time to go get some frozen bread!

JaNece said...

Can't wait to try it out! :) Looks good. BTW Lukas delivered a picture for Rachel that she was working on when she was here. Did it get to your house? He said he left it on your door, but I'm wondering if he even got the right house...? Anyway, it's a picture for Max for his Bday. Lukas and Rachel were working on it together. Happy bday to your hubby tomorrow. :)

Jesica said...

I fixed this for dinner a couple of nights ago and it was a hit at our house!! Thanks for sharing the recipe and pictures!

Anonymous said...

Mmm. So good!! I Loved it Maria!!