Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Los Cabos Mexico

SPECIAL THANKS to Titine (Max's mom) for babysitting our kids so we could go, and to all you neighbors who helped out as well. Thanks Timette and Erin! We love you guys!
Max and I just got back from our trip to Cabo and we have had so many calls to see how our trip went, so I thought I'd hurry and post so you all could see some pictures! I got a new camera, (since I found out that Dr. Pepper and digital cameras don't mix too well) and so of course the first picture had to be a self portrait of Max and I on the plane.

We were so tired, we got up at 3:30 and traveled all day. We finally arrived around 4 in the afternoon. This is the entrance to the resort we stayed at.

Everything was so gorgeous!!! Even the ash trays were pretty...

Saturday was a BLAST!!! We went into Cabo San Lucas (the very tip of Baja California) and went scuba diving. I am obsessed with becoming certified and Max kept telling me to get over it, so I thought if I could get him out there, he'd agree...Mission accomplished! Max now wants to be certified!!! What a great Christmas present that would be...Hint, Hint. (I know you're reading this Max:) We got to dive for about an hour and it was just the two of us with our instructor and his assistant. We saw some beautiful coral and so many bright fish! My favorite part was holding a star fish and then the assistant found a clown fish, which now I know why they are named that...the guy played around with the fish (as if it was a kitten) and made some signals to it. The fish would then obey the signals (Not Kidding!) He taught the fish to pick up a star fish and put it in his hand when he made certain signals. Well then he had me put out my hand and the fish retrieved the star fish and put it in my hand! It was the coolest thing! That's when I was regretting not spending the extra $ for a waterproof digital camera. So unfortunately I have no pictures from our dive. We asked for a picture of us in our gear but they got us in the water too fast for one. Max went in so gracefully, I flopped over board like a drunk! That equipment felt like it weighed more than I do!
Here is a picture of us on the boat going to our dive location.

After we were done diving, they took us out to the very tip of Baja California and let us see the famous arch. I can't remember the name of it, but it is the point where the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez meet. That's where the famous "Lover's Beach and Divorse Beach" are. There is also a place out there where the sea lions lay out. Here are some pictures...



After we were done with the dive, we decided to try Parasailing. There was just a little canopy set up on the beach, so we paid the guys there, then next thing we knew we were heading out into the bay on a ghetto boat with no instructions or nothing! I kept thinking, what the crap have we done?! I'm going to die trying to parasail! But it was way easier than I had expected. We just stood on a platform, they hooked us the the parachute, and a rope started unraveling and up we went! You get about 600' up in the air. We had expected it to be a thrill ride, but it was actually almost boring. The first few minutes were fun, but by the end of the 10 minute ride, I was done. You can only stare at the little knot that is holding you to the boat for so long...(I was a little nervous it would come undone and I would canon ball into the ocean from 600 feet up!) And no I was not trying to be lady-like in this picture, it is just the way the harness made my legs go.




The rest of the day we just hung out in the pool at the resort. The Pina Coladas were yummy and the sunset was beautiful. This is the view from the pool.



And that was the end of our trip. Not really, but the fun part anyway. The next morning we woke up to "Tropical Storm-E" a.k.a. "Jolio" It was quite a site! Needless to say, our plans of spending the day reading in the sun and swimming in the pool quickly died away, and we spent the entire day in our room reading. Boring, very boring. While we were eating breakfast in a ballroom, the lights kept flickering, and while we were dishing up for lunch, the wind stole my hamburger bun and tomatoes, and then two different guy's plates right out of their hands! Everything was buffet the whole day since all their restaurants were closed, and it got old real quick. We hit up two different buffets at dinner just trying to find something that tasted good. But hey! I was able to finish "Breaking Dawn" on the trip thanks to our inclimate weather!!! Here are some shots of the storm. The pictures don't do it justice though, the waves were huge and ate away cliffs into the sand.




And then at 5 the next morning we left and crashed on the way home. I still feel so tired. (I need to tell Max that taking pictures from this angle are not flattering, oh-well, I got him back)



One of my favorite things about flying into Salt Lake is (no not the gorgeous lake muck) but the gasps of new comers as they see those grand mountains for the first time. It always makes me realize that yes it's not lush and green here, but that we do live in a beautiful place.

13 comments:

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

I'm so jealous that you get to travel to all of these fun places! My husband definitely needs a different job! Wow-just finishing Breaking Dawn slow poke? J/K

Lara Zierke said...

Looks like a great trip. You definitely travel a lot--just a hobby or does Max's job have anything to do with that? I have an almost identical picture of the arch at Cabo San Lucas from the cruise I went on when I was 15. Your resort looks fabulous! What a great trip! I remember always planning these fantasy trips when we were kids--isn't it fun that they're actually coming true?

Janae said...

How fun!!! It is always something to remember when you get to spend time alone with your spouse and just concentrate on the two of you. It makes you want to do it more often. I am definetly looking forward to retirement!!!
Did you like Breaking Dawn?
I love your hair - good luck with vacation let down and recovery.
Love ya, Janae

Windy said...

Maria, how fun!! I am so jelous! Next time I will stoy away with you in! It looks like a place I would love to go. Your mom was so cute at church with your kids. That storm looks pretty nasty. Good pics, it was fun to see how your trip was.

Windy said...

okay okay sorry I meant to say your mom in law. She was cute at church.

E Winzeler said...

Yea! You're back! I'm glad you had a fun time despite some crummy weather! (It's a good thing we got some sun prior to your vacation :)!)You're a trooper to go scuba diving...J needs a wife like you...he'd love to learn, but I hold him back with the "you have 2 children now who need a dad, what if something happend to you?!?! You need to think of them rather than thinking of yourself so much!" HEHEHE! Sad huh? Just the thought of being closer to the fish than I already am on the beach terrifies me! We need to travel together and you and J can go be adventureous and Max and I can just watch the two of you. Parasailing looked fun and I laughed so hard at the thought of you cannon balling into the ocean...I'd pay to see that, chicken cutlets and all! Your resort looked amazing...wish we were with you!

E Winzeler said...

Your butt looks darling in your new jeans...funky angle and all!

Miranda said...

So I love your payback picture of Max! Hee! Hee! Curious about your boredom during the storm wasn't there a bald eagle there? And that last picture who is it? And Maria he isn't gasping about the view he is asleep!
Love Ya tons...and I would love to do some canyon shots, we need to figure out exactly when I am coming!

Melissa said...

Just one word. Jealous!
What is Mir talking about a bald eagle for? Is it what I think it is? LOL

Lara Zierke said...

Maria...
Here's a face from the past. Gotta love Google.

http://jaredandlizsmith.blogspot.com/

Ryan & Keri said...

What a beautiful trip, Maria! And it's so nice to get away without kids!! I'm so glad you guys could do that. You are a brave woman--parasailing and scuba diving??! I like to walk on the beach and lay out, but swimming in water where I can't see all the way through the water and know what lurks below realy freaks me out! I'm glad you were there. And you are right about Utah's mountains. We have shopping malls here at the top of hills. No, it's not that bad. We do have some green trees, but no beaches or mountains--boo.

Jessica said...

Looks like so much fun~ sorry I did get your message the other day, we were at Walmart, and I can not talk on the phone and shop with my children there - I don't know what it is about that place, anyway, Griff listened to the message and got a huge grin, I said let's call her, and he said NO!!! I have been meaning to call you back though, sorry!

Mike and Timette said...

So FUN! I want to see that Clown Fish put a Starfish in your hand. How cool. Bummer about the weather, but sometimes alone in a room is fun without kids. :)