On Saturday, September 20th, Max ran the Top of Utah Marathon. It is in Logan, and it was so great to get to go back! Ten years ago he ran the St. George Marathon and had an incredible experience. He said he loved it and felt great the whole time, needless to say, he didn't feel the same about this one. Early in the morning (5 am) I drove him into town and dropped him off at the bus, he was all adrenaline and nerves! On my way back to Jeff and Audrey's house (where we stayed-thanks guys!) there was an amazing lightning storm and it started to rain pretty good. That's when I started to feel nervous! Lucky for him he said it never rained on them. The first we got to see him was at mile 21 and I have to admit, he looked like death warmed over! We shouted encouragements at him and he shouted back, "I've never felt worse in my life!" Next time we saw him was at the finish line. I knew his goal was to be under 4 hours and guess what his time was, 4 hours 58 seconds!!!! DANG!!!! But hey, he was just glad he finished. He ran the first 20 miles in 2 1/2 hours and then something happened and he thought he wasn't going to be able to finish. The last 6 miles took him 90 minutes! I thought he did great. We were all so proud of him! He did limp around for a few days and many a neighbors thought it funny to grab his thighs as hard as they could, but other than that, he came out doing pretty well. Here's some shots. For some reason I couldn't get it to record right, so I pretty much missed the finish line.

Pre-Race Photo Op 5:00 am

Hugging him goodbye and anxious to get back to bed

Refueling at Mile 21

Trying to be optimistic! What a trooper!

Logan trying to entertain himself at the finish line.

Obviously the kids thoroughly enjoyed the wait! :)
Max crossing the finish line! GO MAX!!!!!!

Getting a well deserved post race massage. I'd like to thank that stranger for saving me from having to do it!

I thought he looked great at the end! And you can tell the kids have had enough by this point. I don't think they realized how neat it is that their dad ran a marathon.
So in Max's words, after running this marathon, he has decided that if he was given the choice of RUNNING IT AGAIN or GIVING BIRTH, he thinks he'll take a stab at the whole BIRTH thing. (after Rachel's delivery, I think, no I know, I'd take the marathon!) He claims that he is never going to run again, thanks to my neighbor J, he now owns a bike and is planning on biking his way through life now. :) We love you Max and were so proud of you for running, and finishing the race!
10 comments:
Yay Max!!!! That is so awesome!! So proud of you bro.! Wish I could have been there to support you. Sure love you. Sadie
That is an accomplishment and I really have no clue why people run those things, that sounds like torture to me!!!
WOohooo THat is awesome...good for him and good for you for being such a good wife cheering him on!!
we're proud of you max. btw, brener did not have hand foot mouth. just a sore throat, thank goodness. thanks for the info though.
Way to go Max!
Congratulations, Max! What an accomplishment!!
Wahoo Max!!! Very impressive...I'm glad you only came out with a minor injury :)! You are a trooper of a wife Maria, I know you usually don't roll out of bed until 9:00, so 5:00's pushin' it :)...once again you are a wonderful wife. We'll have to get on our husbands for playing chicken with eachother...hehehe! That's a darling photo of you all at the end...I'm glad Max is done milking it and he's back to reality :)!
Way to go Max from Colorado. It is so fun to see your cute family. We will have to see you guys one of these days. Nate travel's a lot so it is hard to get out there but maybe someday.
It was so fun to have you guys come for the night! Top of Utah Marathon better not be the only reason you come for a visit, especially since Max is never running again!
Wow Max!! That is really great! What a good example you are to all of us! I think Sean could run one, but he says no. I would like to someday. Totally amazing!
Post a Comment