Monday, September 20, 2010

Answered Prayers and a Tribute

ADDENDUM: I just have to share this comment that a reader left me, I am so grateful for it, she said it best: Jeanette said...Just wanted to add, after going back and looking at the photos you posted again, I love how the temple is a beacon of light, shining even brighter than the fire, letting us know where the real power lies. Not in devastation, but in hope and faith.

Wow!!! What a night! I live about 2 miles from the massive Herriman (machine gun fire) All night I watched out my window the devastation, it was quite frightening seeing the fire come so close to homes. My family and I said many many prayers last night that the homes would be spared, that the families would be comforted, and that the firefighters would be protected. Our prayers were not the only ones. Herriman is an extremely religious area, and I can only imagine the hundreds of thousands of prayers that were said last night. Our prayers were truly answered! Last night as I watched the fire raging, I thought that there were going to be at least 100 homes lost, if not more. This morning, they announced that only 4 homes were lost! I couldn't believe it! I watched a video taken this morning from a news chopper, and there were homes that were completely surrounded by burnt land, and the house was still standing. Many homes had flames that burnt up to 5 feet away and the home never burnt! They were saying that it was a miracle that more weren't lost, but I know it was a loving Heavenly Father who protected those homes and helped those firefighters do what they did to protect property. It is humbling to see how quickly a fire can roar down a mountain side. Some people were literally running away from the fire as it came towards their homes. I just had to say how grateful I am that our prayers were answered, and that everything looks like it will be okay. My heart and prayers go out to those who did loose so much, one family lost their home of 35 years, and left with only the shirts on their backs, they couldn't save anything because it came so fast. Thank you to the firefighters, police men, CERT volunteers, and National Guards men who are fighting this fire! And thanks to the families of these people who are serving us, I can't even imagine the fear they have felt over the past 18 hours.
Here are just a few photos of the fire. Just a little to close to home for comfort!
















To see more photos, go to KSL.com, or FOX13now.com

2 comments:

Liz Smith said...

oh man! scary! i come from southern california where, when the santa ana winds hit and it's hot and dry, fires are very common. It is really scary and not uncommon for thousands of homes to be lost and for the fires to burn for days and days. It truly is a miracle that the damage wasn't worse and that more homes weren't lost. Heavenly Father really does listen to our prayers...it's so amazing!

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO scary! What an amazing story, though! I'll have to remember that for one of my Y.W. Lessons! I'm so glad everything turned out okay and you guys were safe!